Wilted Spinach with Sunflower Seeds
from Simply Gluten Free Cookbook by Chef Varouj
(Modified by Dr. Susanne to follow the Gut Restore/Heal Your Gut Food Checklist)
Yield: 2 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
This is a very quick and easy side that could be prepared in few minutes.
- 1 pound baby organic spinach, (washed with Vitamin C Crystals)
- 1/8 cup of fresh chopped basil
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds
- 1/8 cup avocado oil
- Pinch chili, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Choose a large sauté pan or pot to fit all the spinach at once.
- Heat the avocado oil on medium-high
- Add sunflower seeds and chili (if using) cook for a minute.
- Add spinach, season with salt and pepper, and constantly mix, from the bottom to the top.
- Cook only until the spinach leaves discolor. Time will vary depending on quantity and size of pot/sauté pan.
You are not cooking the spinach; it will barely change color and begin to wilt.
Photo courtesy of Chef Varouj – http://culinarycreator.com