Lose weight while you are sleeping?
What a concept! Look out fitness and weight loss supplement industry, because there is a new weight-loss sheriff in town!
Studies are now showing that you can lose weight by how much you sleep and the quality of your sleep and that it has a strong affect on your appetite. There are two hormones produced in our body that are rarely discussed in the health industry- ghrelin and leptin. They both work hand in hand to control feelings of hunger and fullness.
What are these two hormones?
Ghrelin is produced in the gut and it stimulates your appetite, meaning, it makes you want to eat more food. Leptin is produced in the fat cells and send s a signal to our brain when you are full. That is why I created the mantra:
Go away Ghrelin, I love Leptin™!
So how are they connected to sleep?
When you don’t get enough number of sleep hours, it drives the leptin down, which means you don’t feel very satisfied after your meals. Lack of sleep also stimulates ghrelin release, which means your appetite goes up so you want to eat more food. Not the best for your health and waist-slimming efforts.
This explains why people over eat after a poor night’s sleep—never satisfied with their meals, which sabotages their efforts to lose that muffin top!
One study from Stanford University of California found that those who slept less than eight hours a night had lower levels of leptin and higher levels of ghrelin, AND sure enough—higher levels of body fat! Those who slept the fewest hours each night weighed the most!
OK – let’s make SLEEP a priority to a healthier and happier new you!
Here are 5 easy-to-implement tips to getting more sleep:
1. Eat healthful meals regularly- 3 meals per day and a snack. Stabilizing your blood sugar and optimal protein ingestion will help with you from waking up in the middle of the night.
Not sure what types of food to eat?
Sign up for my free Do’s and Don’ts Gut Restore Checklist on the right!
2. Turn off all overhead lights, television, computers, and electrical gadgets by 9:00 pm and take a nice relaxing bath with a few drops of lavender oil.
3. To keep your mind from thinking about your next day tasks and responsibilities while lying in bed, write them down in your journal and it will free your brain from ruminating.
4. Use an eye mask and ear plugs, these are my most important sleeping aids!
5. Keep animals out of your bed, we love them but love your sleep more!
Sleep is one of my best strategies to living young and strong!