Do you Jojoba? If you do not, now is a great time to start and here’s why. Jojoba oil is natural, safe, effective and pretty much has everyone in the skincare industry buzzing with excitement. What is this strange sounding oil exactly?
Jojoba oil is actually not an oil at all. It has the same consistency as oil but is actually not made from triglycerides, like most oils. In this case, Jojoba oil is extracted from the Jojoba plant grown in southern parts of the United States or northern parts of Mexico. It takes about three years for the plant to produce the seeds for harvesting.
When the oil is taken from the plant before processing, it has a bright yellow color to it. However, once it has been processed, it loses all its color and looks a bit like white vinegar.
Jojoba oil is rarely sold in its pure form but I always suggest taking a bit of extra time to seek out the places that carry it unprocessed. When things are processed they have a tendency to lose most of the nutrients and vitamins that are most beneficial to the body.
Perhaps the best thing about Jojoba oil is that:
- It is chock full of minerals and vitamin E
- It is a wonderful antioxidant, preventing free radicals from entering the body
- Jojoba is an antibacterial, non-allergenic and non-toxic oil that can also be used as a natural cleaning solution for household horrors like bathroom mildew
- It’s healing properties have been known to help with acne-ridden skin and keep moisture locked in the skin to prevent dryness
- Men can even use as an aftershave!
How is that for versatility? For more tips on healthy living, including how to handle allergies, be sure to follow @drsusanne on Twitter. You can also join my community on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/drsusannebennettallergyspecialist