Grilled Chicken with Avocado Sauce
from Simply Gluten Free Cookbook by Chef Varouj
(Modified by Dr. Susanne to follow the Gut Restore/Heal Your Gut Food Checklist)
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
For the chicken:
- 4 chicken breasts, bone in or boneless
- 2 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coriander, ground
- 3 tablespoons chili pepper, ground
- 2 teaspoons Mexican oregano or regular oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lime, juice, and zest
- 1/4 cup olive oil-approximately
For the avocado sauce:
- 2 large avocados
- 1 lime
- 1/2 cup packed cilantro leaves, more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- stock or water as needed
- Mix all the spices in a bowl, add lime juice and zest, olive oil and salt and pepper and blend with whisk. Taste, adjust spice and salt to personal preference.
- Add chicken and marinade for at least 15 minutes and up to 4 days refrigerated. (the longer the better)
- Grill on medium heat for about 6-8 minutes per side turning once. Time will vary depending on the size and whether you have boneless or bone-in chicken.
- Serve sauce on the side.
For faster cooking and marinating: slice chicken breast in half horizontally, before marinating.
- Remove the avocado flesh by scooping it with a spoon into the food processor or blender.
- Add the next 3 ingredients and puree until smooth.
- While the machine is on add olive oil on a steady stream.
- Adjust consistency with a drop of water if desired.
- Add salt and pepper and serve.