Beach season is upon us! Have you prepared for it? Let’s face it, working out is hard and getting those perfect summer abs can be kind of intimidating and difficult at times, especially with all of the work and effort that is required. That is why I want to introduce you to a very simple and effective way to strengthen your core without having to do it the old fashioned way.
A great way to tighten those lower abs is with a simple routine I like to call reverse curls. The first step to great abs is of course a core workout. For this exercise there is no equipment needed and can be done right in your own home.
- Lie on your back with your arms to your side. A yoga mat is great for cushioning.
- Keeping your feet together, bring your knees to your chest. Make sure to not bring up your entire upper half. Keep your shoulders on the ground and focus on your core.
- Make sure that when you are bringing in your knees that your hips are following. Do not use any momentum to bring your knees up and down. These repetitions should be completed slowly and will get easier with time.
- When lowering and straightening your legs do not drop them and lose that core engagement. Keep your heels about an inch or two off the ground for a few seconds before you start again.
- Repeat 20 times. (Or until you feel the burn.)
Reverse curls are great because they are not done in your standard sit-up or crunch position. They are easier on your neck, and still work out that stubborn mid-section!